Here, we see a summer squall forming over brooding Blue Hill Saturday afternoon, August 10. A furious rainstorm of about five minutes ensued, followed by sunshine and relieved smiles.
The Town of Blue Hill below this 940-foot summit was incorporated and named after the Hill in 1789. It was among the lands granted by the Massachusetts Bay Colony to hundreds of British colonists who defeated French colonists and their Native American allies in the French and Indian War (1754-1763). The Blue Hill area became known as Plantation Number 5 when first settled by colonists Captain Joseph Wood and John Roundy in 1762. (Brooklin, Maine)